I took action after being inspired by a Twitter thread based the work of @fnoschese as posted on his
180-days blog.This week was the end of the quarter, and my students had a test Monday. Knowing that this is a particularly stressful time for them, it seemed the perfect opportunity for them to pause and reflect on their work.
My process:
- I scanned copies of their completed tests and returned them the next day. (Note to self: Don't staple tests or quizzes.)
- I posted the worked out solutions on the class Wiki along with the rubric.
- I provided an example and a description of what their grading might look like.
When the first class returned their tests, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of comments written to themselves.The second class, with more time to complete the assignment, returned their tests with comments to themselves that were more thoughtful and constructive.
Here are a few that I will be using as examples next time:
And my personal favorite:
I love that had them write reflections! I had mine make corrections, but did not have them write in words what they did wrong. Very nice touch.
ReplyDelete