10 September 2011

And We're Off

The first, short two weeks of school are over and I need to take a moment to reflect how things have gone.

  1. Honors Pre-Calculus classes are starting to have good discussions on the homework. I have been assigning a few even problems and then have them check them in their groups to start class.
  2. I am happy with my students and know that they have great potential.
  3. I failed. to create student-centered classes as planned. "Cover material" mentality took over, and I reverted to lecture.
  4. Responsibility as Department Chair took more time than I'd hoped: dealing with continuing student placement issues, faculty concerns and meetings. There are Big issues being considered and it is an accreditation year. Lots I had not known or anticipated when I sought the position; however, these are challenges I feel privileged to be part of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment