21 August 2010

New Year, Big Goals

I feel like the math and SBG ed-blogosphere consumed my summer; it seemed like everywhere I looked there were more interesting posts to read and more thought-provoking comments to sift through.  It forced me to take a serious look at what was going on inside my classroom.  It made me feel inadequate.  It issued a challenge.  In response to that challenge, here are my "official, submitted to the dept chair" goals - posted for comment, criticism and to help me hold myself accountable.  My notes are in purple.
  1. Begin to revamp the Geometry curriculum.
    • Resurrect the use of GSP or GeoGebra.
    • Find more natural ways to teach algebra within the course.  An assigned goal.
    • Incorporate more proof .  An assigned goal.
    • Investigate the feasibility of switching to an online text or developing our own curriculum for this course. 
  2. Improve early identification of struggling students and the ways in which I address remediation.  More frequent formative assessments like low tech clicker questions, exit questions/quizzes and "informal interviews."
  3. Incorporate Polya problem solving techniques into lessons & challenge students with more complex and diverse problems.  Dept. wide goal to improve "problem solving."
  4. Continue to review my methods of assessment and grading.  Move towards more authentic assessment and SBG.
  5. Take time to reflect (at least weekly) on how things went in and out of the classroom.  This blog.
  6. Maintain existing contacts and form new connections with ed bloggers and tweeters to exchange ideas.  You all get a shout-out.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogging and the SBG Borg. Found you via your twitter follow. I'm a huge fan of the low tech clickers. Love em. I laminated mine this year because 1. I can't stop them from being written all over. 2. I'm addicted the laminating stuff.

    I'm curious about the Polya integration. I've tried that and also a similar method (IMPROVE from Mevarech) but haven't really been successful.

    I've subscribed so I'll keep track, although I might not catch the comments. Say hello in Twitter and glad to have a fellow west coaster.

    ReplyDelete