I am a planner.
Over the summer, I spent significant time planning a broad vision for the Geometry course I was to team teach with a new faculty member. I left a lot of the specifics related to accomplishing these goals for discussion in our planning meetings prior to school. Unfortunately, just before meetings started, I learned that I'd be the only Geometry teacher and that I would be down a prep period. This really threw off my plans. I don't function well when this happens. The creative side of my brain shut down and I was barely keeping my head above water. I reverted to a teacher-centered classroom of lecture and boards full of notes.
To continue down this path will result in "just another boring math class." That is not what my students deserve, nor will it make me happy. I want interesting projects! I want engaged students! I want enthusiasm about geometry!
So this weekend it is back to the drawing board to come up with a better plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment