22 January 2011

Reality Check

Uncensored back-channel in class yesterday lead to what was in essence a non-revelation that my class is boring some students. Students were working on an investigation related to kites with the instructions posted in Google Docs. Of course it is to be expected that they would gravitate towards chatting. For some reason they didn't notice that I was logged in and could see their chat. I had frozen the OHP and glanced at the chat window on my screen. It was mostly off-topic chatter, but one user was bored and expressed that along with dislike for the class. S/he commented that I had no idea what was going on, at which point I typed "I can see your chatting." There were gasps and giggles across the room.

I don’t mind that they were chatting, most were working in the project. However, none of the chatting was related to the topic of the investigation. Unfortunately this was the end of the class period, but my focus directed to the one student who clearly wasn't engaged and wasn't taking part in the activity except to express his or her discontent. I realize that I won't reach every student every day, but to see it so clearly and publicly expressed really made me pause. How many other students were feeling this way but did not choose to express it? How can I cover the content and provide the students with meaningful learning experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment